Saturday, February 18, 2006

She Lives!

Ok, so it's been quite the while since my last entry here. I'm sure all 6 of my readers are desperately waiting for this entry. :) But, I got busy and life got in the way, as it tends to do.

Right after the last update, I got busy on those HOF entries. I got them done with a whopping 28 hour lead on the deadline, and then proceeded to shock my poor Todd when I tried to explain just WHY it was neccessary to spend $44 overnighting a bunch of copies of scrapbook pages to Utah. They are all there now, hopefully still in a stack labeled "look at me" rather than one labeled "what was she thinking?". I enter this every year, and normally during the period between shipping my entry off and the announcement of the winners, I am just wondering why I bothered. This year I am pretty darn happy with my pages though. I still think the best I can realistically hope for is an honorable mention (hey, that prize money may cover the shipping costs!) but even that would be just too cool. I sure do wish I could post up my pages though. One more month. On a side note, the rules for the Hall of Fame crack me up. They tell you the last 4 of the 10 pages you send in should be your "favorite layouts". However, nothing you send in can ever have, well, seen the light of day. No posting online in your galleries, no submitting it for anything else, and certainly no published work. I don't know about you other scrappers out there, but if I have a "favorite" layout, I for sure am at least putting it in a gallery, ya know? Anyway, enough of that. Other things I've been doing:

I have a new favorite store, and it is the Dollar Tree. I can't remember the last time I was in a dollar store of any kind, but I remember there being a lot of crap in there that I normally wouldn't pay a quarter for, let alone a dollar. Well, my friends, the Dollar Tree is a whole different penguin. There's real, actual, useful stuff in there. Food. Soda. Plastic organizing thingys. Dishes that I just really think are so so cute. Cleaning stuff, oh the cleaning stuff. A whole wall of cleaning stuff... that I have actually heard of, and use even. And scrapbook things. I'm sure I am the last person on the earth to hop on the Dollar Tree bandwagon, but just in case that's actually you - go forth and find one, it's marvelous.

I have new favorite shoes, and they are Crocs. Ok, I'll admit, they are whatever knock-off version of Crocs they sell at Walmart. But they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I will be buying some actual Crocs soonest. I just had to try the Walmart version first so that if I hated them I was only out $8 rather than $30. Because really, if they don't feel good on your feet there is just NO reason to be wearing them, as they are without a doubt the ugliest footwear ever. This was definitely a conformist move on my part - I have been hearing good things about these damn shoes for a year or so, and when I saw how many people were wearing them at the school (cause we all know 8 year olds know what is "in") I had to get some. Got some for Kayla too. (cause the 4 year olds MUST keep up with the 8 year olds). I'm sure she won't be allowed to wear them to school, but we will give it a shot. On a warm day, if we ever see those again. (4 below right now, and this is supposed to be the high desert.) So, here's a list of cool things about Crocs, so you will go buy some too, cause I can't be the only one wearing them, they're too ugly. Come, conform with me. We can wear our Crocs to the mall and buy some of that mineral makeup everyone is using now. :)
~ Totally comfortable. Kind of like those "space bed" mattresses on TV must be, they kind of mold to your feet.
~ They weigh hardly anything.
~ They have holes. This could be a downside if you are walking in a lot of sand or something, but mostly it keeps your feet cool and dry, and if you step in a puddle, the water will drain right out.
~ Since they are strange plastic things, you can just rinse them off to wash them. You can even bleach them, I hear, without any color damage, but you shouldn't need too, cause I also hear they are bacteria resistant. Which should translate to odor free, in the world of shoes.
~ Come in a variety of colors. Kayla and I have matching pink ones, and I also got myself some black ones. You know, for more formal occasions. :)

I have a new organizational plan, and it is FLYlady. Well, sort of. I looked at FLYlady's website, and decided that was a bit over the top for me - not the getting things done part, but the part where I have to do my hair and my makeup everyday, and wear shoes all day long. Although, now that I have the Crocs, maybe... :) If you don't know about FLYlady, go check it out, it's all about establishing routines for household stuff, and getting rid of clutter. Very cheesy, I might add, but if you cut through it you can get the good stuff out and make your own routine schedule. I now have a morning, afternoon, and evening routine for keeping the house straight, and after the first 3 days of getting things clean that hadn't been clean in months, I now can do my morning routine in 30 min and the afternoon and evening routines in 10 min each. And most of the day, my house looks good enough to actually invite people in and all. Plus I am spending about an hour a day doing deep cleaning and decluttering in preparation for our move in May. I just think of that all as "packing" which motivates me to do it, cause I sure am ready to get out of here.

What else is new? Not a lot. There's a new heating element in my dryer. Charlie has a new DVD player. Oh, we got a wireless controller for the Xbox - no more tripping over the cord and either unplugging it or jerking the console onto the floor. We are gonna have to get another one of those, and a couple for the PS2 as well, cause that is HANDY. I finally got the cord to hook the iPod to the stereo, so now during dancing time at night, I can pick songs instead of trying to find a station on the radio, or listening to the same 5 songs on the one CD that is upstairs - we are way too lazy to go downstairs and get anymore, plus the CDs are all in stacks on a table as I go through to make sure I have everything I want off of them on the iPod. What's that you say, why do you have CD's if you are too lazy to go downstairs and get them, and all your songs are on Fred anyways? I don't know, ask Todd. Apparently I am not allowed to get rid of them for some reason, maybe a vital need to take up space in our crowded house, I don't know. ;)

Speaking of Fred, he has a new look. His name should probably be changed - at least till I take those clothes off him. I made the skin myself, btw, and about 10 others just playing around. If you want one of your own, tell me what you want and I'll try to accomodate. Kerri - I keep trying your suggestion, but unless you want him headless, or you don't care if his head is covering up Jack's screen, I can't get him in a position I like. ;)

I've got nothing else. I have not scanned any pages in except those HOF entries I can't post here, because I am lazy scrapper. I am thinking of going to a smaller size of scrapping though - tell me what you think. I do 12 x 12 now, but I'm thinking maybe 9 x 9 or 8 x 8. 9 x 9 would actually be perfect, except that scanning them in would still be a 2 step process, where with the 8 x 8 it would all fit in one pass. I do a lot of one picture layouts nowadays anyway, so I think smaller would be easier, and cheaper on the prints too - the way I figure it, a 4 x 6 picture on a 9 x 9 page would be about equal to a 5 x 7 picture on a 12 x 12 page, right? Tell me what you think.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well my Karaoke Scrapbook I just did is 8 x 8 and I loved it! I've always done 12 x 12, and it was different to get used to, but I loved it!!

I have so many ideas and new 'stuff' to use on my Disney Friends book I'm going to start here soon. We're in full fledged Scrapbook Season now. Football is over, and Nascar just doesn't take the time Football does. It's more of A "who's leading...ok, go do something else now"

Well I still think 1/2 naked bon jovi Ipod skin would be cool. But I can see how it would be hard to get it to work right. You don't want the good parts all covered up.

I truly love my Ihome I got. I got it off the apple store. it was 95.00 with free shipping, and I got it in black to match Jack. Scott got Emily one at Bergners, it was 74.00, but it didn't have a remote, at was just slightly different, so I don't know if they've changed the models slightly or not. Her's didn't mention the "with video"version, and mine did.

How long til you find out about the scrapping contest?

Can you tell I'm bored.... I'm writing a freakin' book

3:58 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Did you cheat and say you were a homeschooler at the apple store? You could have probably got yours for the same price as Emily's.

They do the winners on the contest the week of March 15th.

Yea, Nascar sure doesn't take up the time football does... since I don't watch it. LOL. But there is hockey.

I'm pretty bored myself. I'm getting up to do the afternoon cleaning thing in a minute, that could take a while today since my kids have pretty much just been running around doing whatever they want all day. Other than that, I am bored, but not in the mood to DO anything, ya know?

4:11 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hey Holly! Good luck on HOF... I've yet to work up the nerve to enter ANYTHING other than RMH monthly contest! I'm sure you'll do well!

I scrap occasionally in 8 1/2 x 11... LOVE IT!

Glad to see you back!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Oh no - we've lost you to the Crocs bandwagon too?!? I just can't do it, they are too darn ugly! Although everybody I know says they are so darn comfy.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Amber, if you check the website, the new ones (without the holes, I think they are called Aspen?) are not AS ugly cause there's no holes, could maybe even pass for stylish in black or chocolate. They are ubercomfy, you should try it out. :)

8:43 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Heather - I am working on a book of me in 8.5 by 11. All digital, too, it's total "let's do everything new" time. LOL.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

explain this plastic shoe concept to me again?

11:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome to the Dollar Tree bandwagon, Holly!! I LOVE that store! :)

10:18 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

I need to go to the Dollar Tree, I just passed by one the other day!

I will always be a Walmart, .99 Store, Big Lots (Pic & Save) girl, no matter what! :D

Good luck on the contest.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home