Saturday, March 11, 2006

Cool Computer Stuff

I'm taking a class online, a free class from iVillage, on digital scrapbooking. This is where you make your pages completely online, and then just print them out. There is an amazing amount of stuff you can do with the right program. (My choice is Photoshop Elements - try free for 30 days here) Plus, I have my super duper (almost) new tablet that just rocks when it comes to stuff like this. (a tablet for the computer is just like one in real life, it comes with a pen, and you can "draw" on it. Or color. Or write. Try it, you'll like it. You can also use it with a mouse, or use the pen like a mouse, which is nice for those of you developing carpal tunnel.) Anyway, to get back on topic, this class is so very cool. There are things that you can do with shadows and everything that make your digital pages look just like your paper pages, and it's a lot cheaper. And you can match colors to your picture. Or make a patterned paper that is perfect for your picture. Or you could make paper or embellishments and print them out to use on paper pages, even, if you weren't up for converting entirely. I am currently working on lesson 3 on this class, which is backgrounds. Lesson 2 was simple layouts just so we all could figure out how our software works for this sort of thing. Lesson 1 pretty much said "hey, make sure you HAVE some software before you try this class, and a computer would be helpful, and maybe some digital photos." I'm having a blast with it. I got so into making backgrounds to match my pics tonight that after 2 hours of playing I realized I should probably put them in an actual page. Then I didn't do it. :) So, here are my layouts from lesson 2. Enjoy.

















This was my first one. The instructor commented that my journaling might be a bit big once I printed it out. I printed it, liked it, didn't change it. Rebel that I am.



















The second one. Instructor said maybe change the sorta distracting background of the picture to black and white, so....

















Boom, not so distracting. But then I thought, hey if we are messing with that background, why not make it look like you are looking through Charlies goggles?


















And there we go, orangeriffic. Now, I put all 3 versions of that one up so that I could make this point. Changing from version 1 to version 2 to version 3 took me less time than it would have taken me to find the box of photo paper to reprint the picture once if I was doing it on paper. And didn't use any ink in the process. That's probably enough of me and my cool digiscrapping class, a lot of you were probably sick of me talking about it so much before you started reading this.

In other news, we have moved the computer from the dark, messy, unfinished basement into the light, clean, and complete-with-drywall-and-ceilings kitchen, which is making me happy and is much more convenient for me. We'll see how it works for Todd, but we're moving soon anyways, so if he doesn't like it, he won't have to deal with it for long.

In other other news, I have discovered heads up poker tournaments, which are dangerously addicting. Luckily I seem to be quite good at heads up play, so I am not broke yet. Anyone wanting a piece of my winnings, send money so I can play for bigger stakes, please. ;)

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

very cool Holly! I would probably really get into that....but that would just be more time I'd be wasting that I don't have to waste.
(so in other words....sign me up!) ;)
I like the idea you had of making the picture orange like you're looking through Charlie's glasses. :)

1:53 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

I was actually just thinking that I should have put a target on him too, so not only does it look like you have the glasse on too, but like they do some cool thing that tells you what to shoot at by putting it in color. Which is evidence I play far too many video games.

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool!!! When I'm done with my book I'm doing now,I may check that out!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Holly there is nothing wrong with playing too many video games. :)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

WOW! "Your" and "Sally" had a lot to say, eh?

10:12 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

Now if I were to ever break down and get into scrapping, this neato digiscrapping would be the way I would go...now to find the time? ;)

Nice pages Holly!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

That's really amazing what you can do with backgrounds of photos! I had no idea ...

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home